Choosing a compassionate diet is about liberation, not deprivation. In my hOMe, we are always re-inventing traditional recipes with so much success that non-vegans often proclaim "I would never have guessed this was vegan!" Here is once such conversion. Your heart and taste buds will thank you for making the switch!
Recipe by John Arms
Yield: 8 servings (reheats well!)
2 cups dry long grain basmati rice
3 3/4 cups water
1 - 8 oz package of mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 jalapeño, diced
salt + pepper to taste
1 bunch kale, stemmed and chopped
1/3 cup water
1 - 16 oz container vegan sour cream (we use Wayfare brand, it's soy/gluten free and delicious)
1/2 cup vegan mayo
1 package Daiya cheddar shreds
4 bell peppers, halved lengthwise, stemmed and seeded
Preheat oven to 400 F
1) Prepare the rice by soaking 15-30 minutes; rinse until water runs mostly clear and drain. Add rice and 3 3/4 cups water to a medium sauce pot over medium high heat; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer about 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed into the rice (keep covered and undisturbed). Avoid stirring the rice or it will become sticky. Place cooked rice in a large mixing bowl to cool to working temperature.
2) In a dry skillet, sauté mushrooms over medium heat until nearly all liquid has cooked off (10 minutes). Add onion, garlic, jalapeño, salt and pepper and continue to cook until onions are translucent. Add mushroom mixture to the bowl of rice, avoid stirring for now.
3) In the same skillet, add 1/3 cup water and kale; wilt the kale and add to the bowl of rice.
4) In a small bowl, combine the vegan sour cream, vegan mayo, and Daiya shreds, then add to the bowl of rice; now stir to combine all ingredients well.
5) Fill pepper halves with rice mixture and place in a casserole dish. Cover and bake in preheated oven for 1 hour. Add 1/3 cup HOT (or your baking dish will shatter) water to the casserole dish, cover and bake for 30 minutes more; the water will help to steam and complete the cooking of the peppers. Remove from oven and serve!
*gluten- and soy-free
Post a Comment